Updated: Oct 23, 2019
Being an organized person at work, and always looking for similar methods to use at home, I came across the phrase “Don’t Put It Down, Put It Away”.
While trying to have my family follow the same methodology, I thought about the office workplace and how it can also be applied there.
First principle – “Flat surfaces are a blessing and a curse”. It can be a great area to work, but can also act like a magnet for things.
The mantra “Don’t Put It Down, Put It Away” keeps your flat surfaces from becoming storage.
Here are some top tips:
1. The best thing is not to have clutter in the first place
2. Your desk does not need to have everything hidden away, but should not be a dumping zone
3. If your desk is cluttered you can get side tracked by looking at something on it. If it is clear you are more likely to get back on track with the task in hand
4. The less you put things away, the more time you waste looking for it later
5. Less clutter makes you feel personally more successful
Try it for a week. It will make a difference. And then pass on this mantra to your work colleagues.
Coming soon… Clean Desk Policy. Applying a clean desk policy in your shared workplace results in many efficiencies, a cleaner working environment, and less time wasted.